Wednesday 4 September 2013

YOUTUBE CONSULTATION ADVICE: MAKE IT PRETTY

As I said in one of my previous posts, while I was at Summer in the City I visited a Youtube consultation area in which I got advice from Youtube staff in how to make my channel better. And so, in these small little blog entries I will tell you what they helped me with.

Would you Rather?

As the title would suggest, the Youtube staff advised me to try and make my Youtube channel and content more visually attractive to the audience. Looking at it now, it seems really simple. Would you subscribe to a channel that looks like this:


Or would you rather subscribe to a channel that looks like this:



Obviously you would subscribe to the second one. It seems to have had more effort put into it. There are a few important elements in this channel that were specifically pointed out to me by the Youtube staff.

Attracting viewers! What can you do?

The first was a profile picture/ Youtube avatar. Before, it was a blue square that was standard for Youtube channels without assigned pictures. The Youtube staff told me that when someone looked up your channel or when it happened to pop up in a search, you want to advertise to the viewer. Make the channel look interesting and draw them in.
This is the same for when it comes to custom youtube thumbnails.

On Youtube, there is a partner program which gives you certain benefits which can help buff up your channel. This includes custom thumbnails.
Now you can see that some of the bigger Youtubers, if not all of them, use custom thumbnails in all of their videos. This is because it makes the video look more visually attractive. I unfortunately haven't added custom thumbnails to my videos as of yet, but I do plan to in order to try and get more viewers in.

The staff then told me about trying to make your channel then more attractive to people once they arrive at your channel.

Make a Youtube Banner!

They told me to do was make some Youtube banner art for my channel. You can see my Youtube channel art here:



As you can see, it is very simple. Literally it is a special font and edited to make it look like it is glowing and an added lens flare cause they are cool :-D. Even though it is simple, it still make the channel look nicer and more professional. Because of this, we encourage the viewer to believe that we are professional and put effort into Youtube.
You can go all complicated with your design, but I believe making it simple is better. I also chose it to go this way because I didn't know what else to do at the time :-p.

If you are wanting to make a Youtube banner, you do have to follow certain guidelines when uploading it.
Youtube, of coarse being weird, only accepts banner art that is 2120 pixels by 1192 pixels in size. But to help with creating a Youtube banner, here is an image to help with it:


Click the image to go to the original link. Download it, it should help :-)

Anyway, with that the Youtube staff just advised me to make the videos themselves look as attractive as possible for viewing with:
  • A Nice structure to the video
  • Good video quality
  • Good Sound Quality
  • Quality Content

Conclusion! 

In any case, everything I have written in this blog post has all been about appearance. Appearance on Youtube is a key thing to gaining subscribers and viewers to both your videos and your channel. Keep that in mind if you start a Youtube channel :-D

With this small amount of knowledge I pass onto you my friends :-). I hope it helps. There will be more as this isn't the only knowledge that was given to me. Stay tuned!

.
.
.
.
RANDOM VIDEO TIME!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment